In the News
Over the years, the team behind the Condo Adviser has argued many precedent-setting cases and has received various awards and accolades. We are also often asked to speak to, or comment on, condominium matters. Below is a list of some of our commendations, interviews, publications and public engagements.
2016 Clawbie Award: Best Niche Law Blog Award
“…The blog of the Condominium Law Group at Gowling WLG takes home the inaugural Niche Blog Clawbie for its insightful and frequent posts and its eye-catching unique design”.
2015 Clawbie Award: Best Practice Group Blog Award
“…Led by Ottawa partner Rod Escayola, a province-wide team of lawyers covers the Ontario condominium scene from ground floor to penthouse, including blow-by-blow coverage of Bill 106”.
Canadian Accountant Magazine (May 18, 2017): The pros and cons of serving on a condo board as a professional
CBC Radio (May 16, 2017): Airbnb on the 150th anniversary of the confederaion
CBC Radio – All in a day (Jan. 9, 2017): Canada 150 celebrations could mean big bucks for Airbnb hosts in Ottawa
Law Times (Dec. 19, 2016): Interview on Airbnb Decision and its impact on governance of condominium
Ottawa Real Estate Pros (Dec. 14, 2016): Ontario court ruling says condo buildings can ban sharing services such as Airbnb
Condo Business (Dec. 14, 2016): Ruling could help condos fight short-term rentals
Ontario Business Journal (Dec. 12, 2016): Airbnb hits legal snag in Ontario following Ottawa condo court case
Vice Money (Dec. 12, 2016): Airbnb Crackdown
Talk Radio AM640 (Dec. 12 2016): Interview on Airbnb decision
Financial Post (Dec. 9, 2016): Ontario court ruling says condo buildings can ban sharing services such as Airbnb
Toronto Life (Sept. 22, 2016): Neighbour vs. Neighbour
CBC News (Aug. 18, 2016): Condo owners call on city to rein in Airbnb
CBC Radio – Ottawa Morning (Feb. 23, 2016): Is Airbnb worth it?
Tridel (Oct. 2, 2015): Real Condo Life: Butt Out!
ASCQ (Fall 2015): Airbnb (or similar) and your syndicate of co-ownership? (Association des syndicats de copropriété du Québec)
Law Times (Jun. 7, 2013): Focus Condo directors to pay $100K for bad faith
Canadian Lawyer (Nov. 12, 2012): It’s tough to kick someone out of their castle
Condo News (Spring 2017): Is your Strata Ready for the Legalization of Marijuana?
Condo Contact (Spring 2017): What will Licensing of Condo Managers look like in Ontario?
Condo Contact (Fall 2016): First year deficit
Condo Contact (Summer 2016): Defibrillators in condos
Ontario Bar Association (June 23, 2106): Does PIPEDA apply to condominiums ?
Dickson Management (June 8, 2016): Sharing email addresses of owners
Condo Contact (Spring 2016): Smoking in condos
V/Lex (Feb. 2016): Legal Focus on Smoking In Condominiums
Condo Business (Nov. 2015): To indemnify or not to indemnify a rogue director
Condo Contact (Fall 2015): Police cannot snoop around your common elements
Mondaq (Aug. 7, 2015): What to do when Airbnb moves into your complex
Condo Contact (Summer 2015): Overview of the New Condo Act
VISOA (Summer 2015): Amendments to Ontario’s Condo Act (Vancouver Island Strata Owners Association)
Condo Contact (Spring 2015): Retrofitting lights in garage
ACMO Fall 2015: When Airbnb Moves into Your Condo
VERO Property Management (Spring 2015): New Condo Act: Condominium Owners Act, Bill 106
Condo Contact (Spring 2014): Barking Dogs can also Bite
Condo Contact (CCI Ottawa) – Fall 2014: Ontario allows 6-storey wood-framed buildings
Condo Contact (Summer 2014): Condos to be fair to all owners
Condo Contact (Fall 2013): Case study on Park Square: Directors found in contempt of court
Condo Voice (CCI Toronto) – Spring 2013: Noise Complaints in Condos: The perils of failing to enforce condo rules
Condo Contact (Spring 2013): Noise complaints in condos: the perils of failing to enforce
JD Supra (Oct. 26, 2010): Can condominiums prevent short-term leasing of units?
Lexology Author Page (Gowlings WLG)
Lexology Author Page (Heenan Blaikie)
- Condo Adviser conference (May 18, 2017): Marijuana and insurance issues in condominium corporations
- Advocacy Club (May 13, 2017): Social Media for lawyers
- CCLA (April 4, 2017): Social Media Social: blogging, vlogging and other social media for lawyers
- CDG (March 15, 2017) : Mediating and Accommodating differences
- Condo Adviser conference (January 19, 2017): Licencing of Condo Managers in Ontario
- CCI Directors Course (Nov. 27, 2016): The New Condo Act and Expert panel;
- Condo Directors Group (Nov. 29, 2016): Being Good Neighbours: Balancing enforcement and building of communities
- ACMO/CCI Kingston Conference (Nov. 25, 2016): Case law update
- CCLA Litigation conference (Nov. 18, 2016): Diversity in the profession
- CDG (Sept. 15, 2016): Condo security
- ACMO/CCI London Conference (Jul. 15, 2016): Smoking in condos
- Condo Directors Group (June 14, 2016): Building Ottawa’s future
- ACMO/CCI Ottawa Conference (May 27, 2016)
- CCI Directors Course (May 1, 2016): New Condo Act and Experts panel
- CCI Seminar (Mar. 30, 2016): Insurance issues in condos
- CDG (Mar 16, 2016): Aging and Mental disabilities in condos
- LSUC (Feb. 24, 2016): The impact of sharing economies in real estate (Law Society of Upper Canada)
- CDG (Nov. 17, 2015): Update on Condo Act and short-term rentals
- CDG (Sept. 24, 2015): Fire and Safety Security